Holmes' Hole 1846

Click to Enlarge

The Harbor Of Holmes’ Hole

Rare hand colored United States Coast Survey chart published in 1847(dated). Holmes’
 Hole was the second name for Vineyard Haven, Martha’s Vineyard, which was changed from the
Wampanoag name Nobnocket by colonial settlers  The original spelling was reported to be “Homes” 
Named after John Holmes (1730 to 1812)  The chart shows great detail, including numerous soundings,
local landmarks including West Chop and East Chop, the location of the original Telegraph station on
East Chop and Light house on West Chop and Lagoon Pond among others. Individual buildings and fields
are drawn, as are roads and various docks and piers. The Chart was published by the United States Coast
Survey, founded by President Thomas Jefferson in 1807, and  Secretary of Commerce Albert Gallatin, is
the oldest scientific organization in the U.S. Federal Government. Jefferson created the “Survey of the
Coast,” as it was then called, in response to a need for accurate navigational charts of the new nation’s
coasts and harbors. The first superintendent of the Coast Survey was Swiss immigrant and West Point
mathematics professor Ferdinand Hassler. Under the direction of Hassler, from 1816 to 1843, the
ideological and scientific foundations for the Coast Survey were established. Hassler, and the Coast
Survey under him developed a reputation for uncompromising dedication to the principles of accuracy
and excellence. Hassler lead the Coast Survey until his death in 1843, at which time Alexander Dallas
Bache, a great-grandson of Benjamin Franklin, took the helm. Under the leadership A. D. Bache, the
Coast Survey did most of its most important work. During his Superintendence, from 1843 to 1865,
Bache was steadfast advocate of American science and navigation and in fact founded the American
Academy of Sciences. Bache was succeeded by Benjamin Pierce who ran the Survey from 1867 to 1874.
Pierce was in turn succeeded by Carlile Pollock Patterson who was Superintendent from 1874 to 1881. In
1878, under Patterson’s superintendence, the U.S. Coast Survey was reorganized as the U.S. Coast and
Geodetic Survey (C & GS or USGS) to accommodate topographic as well as nautical surveys. Today the
Coast Survey is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration or NOAA

  • Item #: 0400

Holmes' Hole 1846

Price: $36.00
* Marked fields are required.
Availability: In-Stock
Qty: *